Thursday 13 June 2013

Lunchtime At The Gallery


So, as I work virtually next door to the Leeds Art Gallery, I thought it was high time that I paid a visit. To quote Mr. Picasso, art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life, which is just the thing a girl needs after a busy morning at the office!


Obviously part of the appeal of any art gallery is that there is always a cafe and a groovy gift shop (more of that later), but there's certainly more to see than can be fit into a brief lunch hour at the Leeds Gallery. 

There's always a special exhibition, which is currently exhibits from artists on the short list of the Northern Art Prize. If I'm honest these particular works of art didn't do a lot for me, but a couple of years ago the Damien Hirst exhibition was pretty cool - if only for the sheep in formaldehyde and crystal encrusted skull - so it's always worth keeping an eye out for what's on.

In the sculpture section I did see this pretty lady, though - Venus by Henry Moore. I think she would look rather lovely in my living room!!



But back to the important stuff - food and shopping. The Tiled Hall Cafe is a stunning piece of Victorian architecture with vaulted ceilings and walls covered in beautifully coloured and sculptured tiles, such as the one at the head of this post. The cafe serves usual art gallery cafe fare - lots of teas, sandwiches and scrummy looking cakes. Unfortunately I didn't have time to sample any of them, though.


Tiled Hall ceiling
The art gallery shop is great for unusual gifts with lots of handmade jewellery, ceramics, a good range of Alessi items and of course plenty of art books and post cards. There's also a separate shop, The Craft Centre & Design Gallery, where you can buy your very own piece of art!

As I only got to view one floor of the gallery, I'm going to have to pencil in another visit soon - and maybe next time ensure I get a chance to linger a bit longer in that gorgeous cafe!

No comments:

Post a Comment